The tug Oliver L. Moore pushes the articulated barge Menominee down the Detroit River on a foggy Sunday, June 16th, 2019. The Windsor ON skyline is across the river.
The tug began its service as the John F. Cushing in 1928. Great Lakes Dredge and Dock, of Chicago, had it built. In 2006, it received the raised pilot house and it was mated to the articulated barge now named Menominee.
Originally a steamship, Bethlehem Steel had the Sparrows Point built in 1952 as an ore carrier with a capacity of 19,959 tons. Self-unloading capability was added in 1980. In 2006, the steam power plant was removed and the freighter converted to an articulated barge. She now has a capacity of 22,300 tons and carries stone more often than not. She is 716 feet 10 inches long.
Rand Logistics owns both tug and barge. Grand River Navigation operates them.